Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Last Minute Details

May 23rd is fast approaching. I'll be headed across the world in a mere 23 days. Twenty-three days. It's starting to really sink in that I'm closing one chapter of my life and beginning a new one; that everything I've known as routine and comfort is about to be shaken. I'm strangely calm about it most days, excited about the opportunity and the change. Then I have the days where I think "what the hell am I doing?".  I have small panic attacks about the details of the trip. Is this worth the money I'm about to spend? How am I going to handle being alone for that long? What if I get lost? Is "Taken" a true story? Is it going to stress me out when the one pair of Nanos I'm bringing doesn't match my Lulu shorts? (just kidding....kinda :) It's so easy to become overwhelmed by the uncertainties, and I very often have to remind myself to remember the big picture and the reasons I've decided to take this leap.

Becoming. It's about becoming, about learning, and about challenging myself to live outside of my comfort zone and experience life in new ways.

That's so easy to write on paper and to believe, but I'm realizing it's a little harder to let go of things to get there.  I, like most, live a life of convenience. I'm not saying it's always easy because life is never easy. I think that's God's way of keeping us on our toes. Every day isn't sunshine and roses, but I'm surrounded by people and things that have become comfortable and convenient. I wake up each morning and drive 20 minutes to a job that I enjoy. Although, with all of the construction on 540, it some days takes me 45 minutes; and I won't lie. I usually complain about that. I fret over the .01764 day that I lost in traffic. It's probably a good thing that I have my iPhone handy with good music to pass the extra time and that I have a car charger readily available in case the battery should start to drain. I also have chargers in my kitchen, my bedroom, and at my work desk. Heaven forbid that thing gets below 20%. The thought of not being able to instantaneously communicate with someone stresses me out as I believe it does most people these days.  I go to the gym at lunch and usually after work as well. Ease of transportation and access, allows me to do what I love pretty much whenever I want. I typically swing by the Walmart that's less than mile from where I live to pick up dinner and then head home to my fully-furnished apartment with the temperature set to the 71 degrees that I like it. I could continue, but you most likely get my point. I'm set up to go through my days without much thought. Giving that up, even if just for a few months, is SCARY. The one backpack that I'm taking doesn't have room for three different kinds of shampoo, five different pairs of nanos, or nine pairs of jeans; and I'm pretty sure hostels don't let you decide the temperature of the room. Will it be worth it? Leaving a life of convenience to live out of backpack? My gut is telling me yes.



So where does it all start and when? I have most of the trip mapped out and planned. I have chosen to stay in a few select cities for a month or so at time then do smaller stops along the way.  Below is a first take at the timeline and path. One of my goals over there is to let life take me a little bit. Relinquish control and not plan everything to a tee.  For those of you who know me, I know you're thinking "Riiiiight", but I'm going to try :) If anyone has any suggestions or must sees, I want to hear them! Please comment on the blog or on Facebook.

May 1, 2014 - Last day at JB Hunt
May 9, 2014 - Crossfit Regionals in Chicago (Go Team Beefy!)
May 18, 2014 - Leaving Arkansas for the Mississippi Gulf Coast
May 23, 2014 - Leaving the States bound for Athens, Greece




The path from there covers Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, UK, Ireland, Scotland, Denmark, Germany, Prague, Austria, and Switzerland.



1 comment:

  1. Ok, tears are creeping out the corners of my eyes...knowing my baby girl is going to be gone for so long on this adventure of hers. Again I ask God to protect you and guide you and to help you make wise decisions. I love you and please, please, please...don't post where you are going and when, only post where you have been :o) xoxo

    ReplyDelete